After all isn't the home where life's building blocks are provided. So join us as we roll up our sleeves and confront everyday life on the Rittgers Home Front!
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A Step in the Right Direction

What a difference a week can make as we slowly move in the right direction. This third week at home began with a trip to Target last Tuesday. We headed out Tuesday evening to get some new comfortable clothes for me to wear with my incision. Before we made it to the store, we dropped off Judah at some friends house for the hour while we shopped. This was my first real outing other than a doctor's office. It was nice to walk around but oh I was so worn out at the end of the hour.

The next day I was so sore from the outing. Fortunately I had called for another prescription of pain medication after going some time without anything. This time they put me on Tylenol with codeine, a step down, from what I had been taking. The good news is that as this week progressed, I was able take less and less medication and even none in the last few days. I do continue to keep walking and even take the stairs a bit more now. Also, I have been sleeping more comfortably on my side now instead of flat on my back. It is nice to finally see some progress in recovery.

Judah is starting to get a little personality. I had mentioned last time that he likes to laugh, smile, and coo after he eats. And boy does he like to eat. He has already outgrew most of the newborn clothes and diapers making me feel like he is a big boy now. It is so cute to watch him with his "full face" as he looks content. He also likes to be held and rocked. Will this week we noticed that he shakes his hands and arms when he gets mad. We also sense that he can be stubborn and impatient at times. Often he stirs in his sleep too making sounds and grunts only to fall back to asleep by himself (which is good for us).

Slowly we are getting back to a normal routine. Tim has been working more half days at the office, leaving Judah and I alone more and more at home. And we started cooking some meals again like our traditional pizza night on Sundays and doing small chores around the house. Even Maestro is starting to return to normal and is playing fetch again. Still we have accepted some offers of help. Grandma Kreis came last weekend to help around the house and we have had a few friends here during the week to help with laundry and dishes.

Today (Tuesday) we also gave Judah another bath. I always feel bad to see him shiver from the sponge bath. We even wrap him up in what Tim calls a "baby burrito" to warm him up afterwards. The funny thing is Judah never fails to make a mess soon after the bath. I wonder why we even give him a bath because like clockwork he makes a mess. I will also mention here that Judah quite frequently wets when daddy is changing him (as opposed to me). He must save those special moments for dad! :)

Today (Tuesday) we went to the Mommy and Me support group at Mercy hospital. Here lactation consultants were on hand to offer assistance on all feeding related concerns and questions. When you get there you strip the baby down to a clean diaper and then weigh them in on a scale. Judah weighed 8 pounds and .83 ounces. The group was very worthwhile for us as Judah and I finally learned the cradle style (instead of playing football). After the feeding, I weighed him back in and he ate a total of 3 ounces. Tim and I had been saying lately that he is a very big eater and he certainly proved us right.

Will I am thankful for the many improvements this week. Course we are still tired from night feedings and being cooped up from the heat advisories. Overall, I must remember to enjoy this season but it is nice to be moving in the right direction.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear your recovery is progressing and the Judah is doing well. I can't wait to meet him!

    A little tip I learned with my babies - put a cool wash cloth on their belly and then gently blow on the wet spot before baths and diaper changes. It helped mine to take care of wets before the diaper was off. :)

    Thanks for the updates - I love to read about your precious little guy!!

    Love,
    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the updates! Glad to hear about the progress :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so exciting to hear that Judah is growing. I must admit the first time Jacob outgrew an outfit, I got teary eyed...I was just getting used to my new little baby and he was already growing up!!
    Some good advice I received is that everything comes in phases. So be sure to enjoy each phase Judah goes through as they pass by quickly...and for the phases that are difficult, hold on to the truth that they will pass by quickly as well!
    Love hearing from you!!
    Take Care!

    ReplyDelete